Fire rated covers
Certain applications may require that a cover offers a certain degree of fire resistance.
A fire rated cover is basically a standard access cover system which has a fire rated barrier installed beneath it to protect against flames, smoke, fumes and heat for up to 2 hours as required in AS 1530 Each system is custom made and ACO will work closely with you to supply a suitable fire rated system for the requirements of each application.
The following information is intended as a guide to the factors involved in specifying a fire cover.
- Any standard cover can be supplied as a fire rated cover
- Due to the addition of the fire barrier, clear opening will be reduced Pit rebates
- The fire resistant barrier will need to be supported by either a formed ledge in the pit or a fabricated ledge – these ledges are used to support the framework which holds the fire resistant material (see diagram)
- Safety gates may be required in certain states to protect the non-load bearing fire rated barrier
- Safety gates fit to the sides of the pit below the cover
- A safety catch is required to hold the gates open to prevent them falling closed and trapping someone inside the pit
Fire resistance material
- An asbestos free material rated to 2 hours to AS 1530, higher ratings are also available